Tentative Board Decisions
Tentative Board decisions are provided for those interested
in following the Board’s deliberations. All of the reported decisions
are tentative and may be changed at future Board meetings.
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 FASB Board Meeting
Agenda prioritization. The Board discussed the results of
staff research on six potential projects related to eight recent agenda
requests and a technical inquiry.
The Board decided to add the following projects, which include the issues listed below, to the EITF agenda:
The Board also decided to expand the scope of its project, Improving the
Accounting for Asset Acquisitions and Business Combinations, to include
the accounting for in-process research and development and contingent
consideration obligations recognized upon the initial consolidation of a
variable interest entity that is not a business.
- Financial Instruments—Clarifying the Interactions between Topic
321, Investments—Equity Securities, and Topic 323, Investments—Equity
Method and Joint Ventures
- Issue 1: Accounting for equity securities under the measurement
alternative upon the application and discontinuation of the equity
method of accounting
- Issue 2: Recognizing investee losses when an investor has other equity investments in the investee
- Issue 3: Scope considerations for certain forward contracts and purchased call options on equity securities
- Revenue Recognition—Contract Modifications of Licenses of Intellectual Property
- Issue 1: Accounting for additional rights that are granted to the licensee
- Issue 2: Accounting for the revocation of licensing rights
(including conversion of term software licenses to software as a service
The Board decided not to add the following potential projects to its agenda:
The Board also decided to remove the project, Measurement Alternative
and Observable Transactions Identified after the Reporting Date, from
its research agenda.
- Collective Defined Contribution Plans and the Definition of a Defined Contribution Plan
- Share Repurchase Disclosures—Price and Earnings Per Share Effects
- Accounting for Emissions Trading and Other Environmental Market Transactions.
Codification improvements—hedge accounting. [This summary will be posted as soon as it becomes available.]